Saturday, December 3, 2011

School Lunch

While Rizzo has convinced me that rent control causes more financial problems than housing help, I'm not completely sure I believe that price ceilings are worth completely abolishing. In lecture, I couldn't help but this of the cap on the price of school lunches. Maybe the people who want the nice penthouses or the tiny hole-in-the-wall apartments should get them because of ability to and value, but I believe education is a right of children in America, and they should not feel isolated or penalized by an expensive meal in the school cafeteria. I think the costs incurred by capping the price of school lunches are worth the other benefits gained from students. Cheap, unhealthy food can lead to high costs on health care (obesity is quickly becoming a major cost for Americans in the billions of dollars in medical visits). Also, food allows children to gain the nutrition and energy they need to focus in class; a hungry student may struggle and fall behind his peers in academic performance. It's like we learned in class, regulation should not be the goal, but sometimes it is necessary. When it comes to our kids, I think this is a practice worth keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment