Friday, October 21, 2011

Equality Matching Oops

On the website, Bandcamp (http://bandcamp.com/) musicians have the ability to sell their music online to fans. Often, many bands allow users to name their own price to purchase the music. And I have to admit, I did not utilize "equality matching"when I downloaded a recent ep. In the back of my mind, I realize that I could spare a few dollars, especially because I'm aware this music wasn't free, this band is made of college students like me who paid for the instruments and used valuable time to put together the music I put into my iPod. Still, as someone who has to plan for study abroad costs, and because it wasn't convenient to take the 30 seconds to use my card, I opted to pay $0. What is interesting is if I was presented with a physical EP priced for $5 I would have been more than happy to pay it to these guys. But the transaction was impersonal and if I don't have to use extra time/money on something, I won't. Basically, this is an example of me failing to think economically until after the fact. (Maybe I can make it up to the band and my conscience by buying a ticket and a t-shirt at their next show)

No comments:

Post a Comment